Wednesday 5 July 2017

Mfarakeh (طريقة عمل المفركة) - Scrambled Eggs and Potatoes Recipe

Since I moved to Qatar in December 2011, my knowledge about food is incredibly increasing especially Arabic food and I'm so happy about it. 
One day a friend of mind which now he became my husband (yeah we were only friend back then), he was complaining that he misses the food that his mom used to cook it for him back home in Syria because it’s been too long he can’t visit his family due to the situation in his country then I asked him what kind of food is it? He said the name of the food is Mfarakeh (طريقة عمل المفركة) - Scrambled Eggs and Potatoes.


I had no idea what Mfarakeh is, so I asked him again to explain it to me about what kind of food is that. Then he simply said it is a simple food made from potato and eggs.
I kept on asking him to explain it to me in details about what kind of potatoes, what the seasoning is and how to cook it and he was stumbled then laugh, he said I just know how to eat it, let me call my mom.

His mom explained everything but only one thing I didn’t know, it was “GHEE”. I had no idea what Ghee is so I searched it in supermarket then I found it. Ghee is a class of clarified butter that originated from the Indian subcontinent and it’s commonly used in South Asian and Middle Eastern cuisines. We (Indonesian) also has it but only the name is different, we called it Wisman and I only used it to make cookies but Arabic people almost use ghee in every food either it’s sweet or savory.

So I made it for him and he was so happy and thanking me so much and he said that I really nailed it for someone who never cook it and never knew what Mfarakeh is. Well I was happy also that I finally can at least reduce his sadness by longing to his family and the food in Syria.


This dish is so simple to make, it’s really good for breakfast and even lunch or dinner if you are too lazy to cook. And if you think that you don’t get enough carb, you can eat it with pita bread (khubus) just like the Arabic does and drink some laban (salty thick fermented milk) in the end.

It is best if you make it with russet potatoes but if you have other potatoes in hand it’s not a big deal just use whatever available.


So happy cooking and enjoy this simple recipe 😊



Ingredients for 2 portions:

500 gr Potatoes
3 pcs Eggs
3 tbsp Ghee
1/2 tsp Cumin powder
Salt and pepper
Chopped coriander leaf for garnish (additional)

Directions:

1.   Peel and cut potatoes into small cubes, wash and drain it.
2.   Heat a pan in medium heat, add ghee let it melt and hot then add potatoes and cook it until golden brown.
3.   Meanwhile, beat the eggs then add salt and pepper.
4.   When potatoes nice and brown already then add eggs into the pan, add cumin and mix it slowly.
5.   Turn off the heat then sprinkle of chopped coriander on top of it and serve it.

2 comments:

Orak Arik Telur & Kentang - Mfarakeh (طريقة عمل المفركة)

Semenjak saya pindah ke Qatar pada bulan Desember 2011, saya seneng banget  karena pengetahuan saya tentang makanan Arab bertambah. Sua...